Tuesday, September 20, 2011

2011 Streak Day 233 (Sunday Aug 21st): A little bit weary

2011 Streak Day 233 (Sunday Aug 21st): Run 10 miles, Time 1hr 43min 20 sec, Weather - changeable, mostly cloudy but the rain held off


My schedule told me it was time to run 10 miles. A couple of years ago (or even most of last year) that would not have been a big deal. It was a distance I regularly ran but this year everything seems harder and I have yet to go that far. So I approached the run with a little trepidation.
In the event I don’t know whether to be pleased or disappointed. The plus side is that I did it but the minus is (and it is quite a big minus) I ran out of steam with a mile to go. It was a act of will power to keep going. (use of the old trick of "just to the next junction and then see how you feel", then " just to the next lamppost" etc, etc).
The problem was probably that I had been too ambitious. Knowing that the Folkestone half marathon has a big hill towards the end I threw in a big hill on this run. Humph! perhaps it didn't work out quite as well as I hoped.
Nevertheless it was done and the weariness made the recuperation all the sweeter. It cannot be said too often that those moments when you stop, but feel you have done enough to earn the rest, are especially sweet. You can stretch out and enjoy being still.
The photo is also of something I find enjoyable, that speaks of an English summer: a cricket green, a match and a couple of people watching - magic!

No comments: