Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Janathon 2012 Day The Last


Janathon 2012 Day The Last:Walk - 3 miles, Time 1hr, Weather - Cold and wintry



The last day of Janathon and I have revisited the cows from the first day.  A cycle has been completed and I am back where I began.
It some ways it feels just that - in spite of a month’s activity I don’t feel any more healthy, vigorous, or any more full of vim. Things have chugged along but there has been no sense of progress.
I had hoped that the heart rate training would have shown some steady improvement but it has been a bit too erratic and I can’t really tell if it is doing any good. One dayI am  able to run for longer and maintain a rhythm, the next the heart rate is all over the place. There are glimpses it might be working but only glimpses. Nevertheless I will continue for another month, gradually increasing the mileage as I am sure that is the key. My aim had always been to build up the distance gradually and to have patience and patience is obviously what I need.
For the rest I didn’t do too much cycling and I don’t know why, but the rides I did I enjoyed.
Walking was sometimes a stock activity - a substitute for a rest day, when rest days are not allowed. However walks of 5 miles or more felt like proper exercise as they required a degree of stamina: I could actually classify them as base training.
The greatest pleasure came on days when the sun shone, trees threw long shadows, and there was a sparkle in the air; whenever that happened there was a spring in my step. Even if the predominant colour of the month was grey there were still some bright days. 
Weather always affects my mood but in January it is more extreme: a bit of sun and I feel cheery, a slate grey sky and I can feel as bleak as the bare countryside. But the great thing about Janathon is that it forces you to go outdoors and everyday I felt better after the exercise than I did before. Janathon proves that exercise is good for you.
In summary: total mileage - 154.8, walking - 53.84, running - 51.41, cycling - 49.55. Nothing impressive, just steady.

1 comment:

Adele said...

Hairy knees, rrrar! Those cows are gorgeous. I wish I could have seen 'my cows' to complete my Janathon.

It is impressive, your mileage is great and, when you consider your aims this month, your running mileage is particularly impressive. And yes, I agree, five miles is definitely proper exercise.

I look forward to following the rest of your journey.