Friday, January 06, 2012

Janathon 2012 Day 6: Each to their own


Janathon 2012 Day 6: Walk - 6.5 miles, Time - 2hrs, Weather - bright and clear. Good weather to be out and about.

Today's object was a little more distance. It didn't matter if it was walking; I just wanted to go further.
So I walked along the canal and it was one of those mornings when the sun was out, the sky was blue and your spirits were lifted. After all the grey/stormy/rainy days it was a relief. There were though signs of the recent bad weather: underfoot it was wet, muddy and squelchy and bits of blown down trees were still strewn around. (The picture is an example: this was lying across the towpath and overhanging the canal, hence the dark background). Somehow it made the good weather more enjoyable.
I felt pleasantly alert - noticing the birds, the trees, and things like a dog training class in a nearby field. A group of people were walking their dogs around the perimeter. In the middle were all sorts of obstacles like ramps and jumps; perhaps it was advanced training. However different people get different things from a walk and some pay no attention whatsoever.
I passed a group of ramblers coming the other way and as the tow path is narrow it means that adjustments have to be made by everybody. However as I was one and they were many, I stood by the edge to let them through. However there was a line of three women, taking up the whole towpath, deep in conversation looking mainly at the floor. The one opposite me was totally unaware of my presence almost until she saw my boot right in front of her. I was fascinated - looking at her, wondering how long it would take to notice the obstruction. I guessed it approximately right. Years of walking crowded London streets where many people are not paying attention to their surroundings was a good guide.
In their way they would have enjoyed their walk, after all be out in the air can sometimes stimulate thought and conversation. In my way I enjoyed mine.

No comments: