Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Janathon 2012 Day 4: Balance


Janathon 2012 Day 4: Weights and stretches, Time - 30min, Weather - not as wild as yesterday. Mostly grey
This morning I woke up with a sudden flash of insight: I didn’t have to go outside to exercise. As insights go this is fairly low level and I was not going to leap out of my bath and run down the street yelling Eureka!  but in its own small way it was quite satisfying.

The past year had been so dominated by the thought that everyday I had to get out of the door to run, walk, or cycle, it had become a state of mind. Subconsciously I had even begun to believe the only valid form of exercise involved fresh air and travel. But this is not true - it is not even desirable.
Running, cycling, walking are an undoubted good and the basic building blocks of health and fitness but they are not everything. Their range of movements is limited and only certain muscle groups are developed. To keep the body in balance more needs to be done - strength and flexibility also need to be fostered.
One of my new year’s resolutions is to balance my fitness regime. I have a set of dumbbells and many books showing me how to stretch and plan to incorporate them into each day - not big sessions but a little regularly.
However my insight this morning was that a half hour session would fit the bill perfectly for Janathon and I would not be ridiculed and mocked as an impostor. So that is what I did

No comments: