Monday, June 14, 2010

Sometimes I Can Show Self Discipline


Juneathon day 14: run 7.10km time 42min

Yesterday I felt quite relaxed about Juneathon. The run was nice and steady and I thought I had adjusted to exercising everyday. Hah! I should have known better. As a natural pessimist I should know the basic rules: never assume anything, never take anything for granted, and don’t believe that what is good about one day will last into the next.

Today the slot for running was pre-breakfast but when the alarm went off I really, really did not want to get up. it took a great amount of will power to tell myself that if I did not open my eyes NOW I would fail.

I bullied myself out of the door but my body was not so easily cowed. “You might have got me out here” it seemed to say “but don’t expect me to make things easy for you.” And it didn’t. For the first 10 minutes I had to work hard just to keep moving as my muscles and joints complained; but after that things eased up, a rhythm was established and I managed the 7km. Huzzah!

Days like today are probably the reason we do Juneathon. Without its impetus it would certainly have been a rest day. Instead I have the satisfaction of showing a certain amount of self-discipline (which is a victory because I do not rate self-discipline amongst my virtues).

Today’s photo is of plastic container, about 4 foot tall, abandoned by the side of the trail. Last week there were two more nearby but they had lids and have since been spirited away - perhaps someone wanted them for storage. It is strange they were ever left here in the first place as they are a bit away from the road and it would have taken some effort to move them to this particular spot. If someone wanted to dump them you would have thought they would have done so where it was easier. Odd, very odd.

Juneathon statistics 14/14
Run 10/14
distance 68.96km
time 6hr 19min
Cycle 2/14
distance 39.8 miles
time 2hr 58min

Gym 2/14
time 1hr 35min

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I had to name anyone who lacked self-discipline, it certainly wouldn't be your good self. Well done at the end of week two!

Anonymous said...

well done though for getting out of bed, it's horrible when you're still half asleep trying to do exercise.