Saturday, June 19, 2010

Flashes of Contentment


Juneathon day 19: run 7.8km time 46min

Looking for “some one good thing” from my run is very difficult. Nothing much happened: I ran a fairly average distance, at a fairly average pace, I was not impeded in any way, nothing bad happened but there again nothing good either. It was a run.

But perhaps I am being a bit too proscriptive in my search for the good thing by looking for something new or a development. Perhaps I ought to look at the good things that are always there - the things that keep me running. For example there is that moment, near the beginning, when you realise you are starting to move easily. For whatever reason the start of a run is always a bit awkward - the body complains about being shaken-up, your heart rate goes up before settling down, and your legs feel a bit tired. After a while things settle down and you hit your stride. I will then often have a sense of freedom when I suddenly feel glad to be out. Those flashes of contentment are sometimes accompanied by the realisation that I am fortunate to be doing what I am doing and able to enjoy such moments.

This sense of good fortune is the “good thing” I will take from today.

Juneathon statistics 19/19
Run 13/18
distance 93.42km
time 8hr 40min
Cycle 4/19
distance 61.4 miles
time 4hr 38min
Gym 2/19
time 1hr 35min

No comments: