Friday, June 25, 2010

Some Short Runs Feel Long


Juneathon day 25: run 4.1km 23min

Tired, tired, tired.

I think it has come to all of us this Juneathon - days where we just want to rest. Our bodies tell us their reserves are low and need replenishing and the thing you should not do is go out again. But because it is juneathon we do.

Today was like that for me - right from the alarm going off. I had planned an early run before breakfast but when it came to it my eyes really did not want to open. Evening would be fine I told myself but when I got out not only did the air felt heavy, my legs were even heavier.

“4k is all you have to do” I told myself but all the time my mind was like a little kid in the back of the car “are we there yet?”. Eventually we were. I completed the run and I just sat in the garden feeling more tired than I normally do after much longer runs.

I sat there bent foreword, elbows resting on my knees watching as the sweat dripped from my forehead forming patterns on the patio paving. I was transfixed. “Get up and do your stretches” a little voice was saying but I just did not feel like moving, the patterns were far more interesting.

Eventually I did move. Stretches were done, I washed and changed and after an evening meal with a bottle of wine everything was fine. In fact better than fine - I was happy that I had managed to keep going.

Juneathon statistics 25/25
Run 17/25
distance 119.03km
time 11hr 06min
Cycle 5/25
distance 81.8 miles
time 6hr 16min
Gym 3/25
time 2hr 05min

1 comment:

saucony shoes said...

Nice run there...I missed running...this post makes me remember the old days...where I can run fast as I can right now...