Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Fragment of Life


Juneathon day 26: run 14km time 1hr 23min

One of my pleasures is to drink some good coffee whilst reading the Saturday Guardian, in a leisurely, relaxed way. It doesn’t make me think that all is well with the world - the purpose of newspapers is the opposite but there is usually at least one article that is really stimulating and makes me glad it was written.

The pleasure is enhanced if it happens after a run. There something about the mental ease one feels after a longish run that makes you savour the moment even more. This plus the fact that you are physically a bit weary and do not want to be doing anything too active

Today was no different.

The article I would want to bring to your attention was and opinion piece by Lynsey Hanley about Newcastle’s Literary and Philosophical Society. I rather liked the last paragraph:
“There needs to be a return of focus towards what the writer and academic Raymond Williams called "the articulation of what men have actually seen and known and felt". "Any restriction of the freedom of individual contribution," he wrote, "is actually a restriction of the resources of the society." To get from Neil Tennant to Raymond Williams and back in one train of thought, you need to learn what people have seen and known and felt. You need libraries.”

I certainly agree that we need libraries and any article that says such a thing makes my Saturday ritual a little bit more congenial. But the article also reminded me of the reason for this blog. It is my attempt to examine what I see, know and feel about running. Admittedly running maybe a small fragment of life but it is still something worth recording.

Juneathon statistics 26/26
Run 18/25
distance 133.03km
time 12hr 29min
Cycle 5/26
distance 81.8 miles
time 6hr 16min
Gym 3/26

No comments: