Thursday, June 03, 2010

Adaption to Mood


Juneathon Day 3: run 3.08k time 17min

I remember some advice from Joe Henderson about being flexible in your training and adapting it to how you feel on the day. He suggested you run for a mile (to make sure you had shaken all the inertia from your body) and then made a judgement. If you felt tired , then cut it short but if you felt good then why not go further or harder. In other words, within the overall framework of your programme, there should be latitude and you should try to work with rather against your body.

That makes good sense - I am constantly puzzled by how much my mood and vitality can vary from day to day. Today is a case in point, although the sun is shining and everything is well with the world, I feel weary and dull. There is no good reason - it is just how I woke up. So my run was short.

As I had a suspicion it would be a tough day I decided to run round the park, which is a circuit of about 500 metres. I ran for 3 laps to confirm that I did indeed feel very stodgy and so set a target of 3k, which is what I did. Enough to count as a run yet small enough to give me the feeling that I had listened to my body ... to some extent (If I had fully listened to my body I think I would have slept longer).

Today’s photo is of a park seat. It is fairly new and they must have decided that plastic is a cheaper alternative to the traditional wooden seat but something has happened. It looks as if some chemical has been spilt and some of the plastic has dissolved and flowed onto the ground. Most mysterious.

Juneathon Stats: 3/3

run 3/3
distance 18.5k
time 1hr 46min

1 comment:

warriorwoman said...

It amazes me how different you can feel when out on a run and often there is no telling until you get out there and put one foot in front of the other.