Tuesday, May 31, 2011

2011 Streak Day 151/365: Thinking of childhood

2011 Streak Day 151/365: Run - 3.31 miles, Time 31min 05sec, Weather - warmer and sunnier as the day progressed (I ran first thing in the morning)
Yesterday I posted a rather good poem by Philip Gross. Today I took a photo of a delphinium and all I could think of was a verse by AA Milne: There once was a dormouse who lived on a bed / Of delphiniums (blue) and geraniums (red).
I know one of the ideas of the 2011 project is for me to see something and make some associations but reaching back into my childhood, and recovering one of the pebbles that rattles about, is stretching it a bit far. I might just as well have taken a photo of a wheelbarrow and said:  "Jonathan Joe had a mouth like an O and a wheelbarrow full of surprises".
As you will probably guess I was bought up on AA Milne - my mother liked reading the verse as well as Winnie the Pooh and used to sing me to sleep with 'Christopher Robin is saying his prayers'
What this has left me with is fragments. I cannot remember anything as long as a verse but the odd line or two will occasionally bubble to the surface.
So much of your childhood is always with you. You do not carry it around in the forefront of your conscious mind but every so often something will jog a little memory and you can picture things as they were

1 comment:

Adele said...

How lovely that you remember being sung to sleep, this post is a dedication to motherly love. I know how tired I feel at bedtime, so for a mother to sing patiently is simply wonderful!