Wednesday, May 04, 2011

2011 Streak 123: The grass is always greener

2011 Streak 123: Cycle - 9.5 miles, Walk - 4.5 miles, Time - 2hrs, Weather - sunny


So we have a picture to prove the saying - a sheep straining for the juicier grazing.
It also summed up my attitude during the latter part of my outing - even people on old clunkers were doing better than me.
It had all started so wonderfully. The sky was blue, the sun was shining and the country lanes were fairly empty. Everything felt good and cycling was relaxed and easy. Along the way I had stopped to take some photos Frithsden  (My idea was to take one of the Alford Arms to show what a pretty pub it is and illustrate the Guardian's cycle route) but further along I saw this sheep straining for the tastier grass and knew I had to share it. It felt good to spot that.
Then … well then ... I came to a skiddy, juddering halt.
I had some rubbish mudguards on my bike which I had been meaning to take off. Many a time I had thought about removing them. Many a time I had thought the weather is dry, these are unnecessary but then put it off and thought "next time". Hmmph! 
The rear mudguard worked loose, slipped under the wheel, causing it to jam and gaving me an unwanted test of bike handling skills (i.e. could I stop myself falling off). Well I passed the test but could no longer ride the bike and had to walk the rest of the way home.
Walking for any distance in cycling shoes is not to be recommended. It was very, very tiring.
But look on the bright side - the weather was lovely!

2 comments:

Ken said...

This is very good news indeed. I was behind on your blog due to some very heavy twitter commitments! I know you'll make cautious progress and it will be enjoyable for you again.

Ken said...

Okay, that comment didn't go to the right post! I didn't really think that you having a bike malfunction was very good indeed! It was the fact that you have been able to start to run again. DOH!