Monday, May 30, 2011

2011 Streak Day 150/365: Surface tension


2011 Streak Day 150/365: Walk - 3 miles, Time - 1hr, Weather - grey clouds gathering before afternoon rain.





I took this photo after the rain started. There was a simple reason: on the walk, when I was about to photograph a moorhen on its nest I discovered I had left the memory card in the computer. I stood, feeling stupid, for a few moments and then walked on. That's another thing I have to always remember!

It didn't matter because I had half-thought of waiting for the rain to take a picture of the way drops form on leaves or a well waxed car. I love the way the water is held by its surface tension, in different shapes and sizes.

I am reminded of this poem by Philip Gross:

Pour
  Call it connecting  
one moment with another:  
   water- 
in-the-glass with water-in-the-jug, 
two bodies of water 
   and between, 
this slick and fluted glitter, 
    slightly 
arcing, rebraiding itself as it falls, 
as for tangible 
  seconds it’s a thin 
taut string of surface tension 
that my hand feels, on the handle, 
as a pulse, a pull, 
   a thing 
in space, that lives in this world 
like us, with purpose 
   though not one 
least particle is constant, knows 
its place, could account 
   or be held 
to account for what it is or does

No comments: