Sunday, May 01, 2011

2011 Streak 118/365: Cycle in the morning, rehydrate in the evening

2011 Streak 118/365: Cycle - 15.38 miles, Time - 1hr 5min, Weather - a bit dull

I don't want to give the impression that this is becoming a habit but this evening was again spent in a pub. The difference this time was that it did not follow on from a walk, instead it was a choice in its own right. My exercise had been in the morning but I had taken no pictures so there was an obvious need to get out again but not necessarily to the pub.
Despite forgetting my camera the day's cycle ride had actually been satisfying because I managed to sustain a fair pace for a few miles. Most of my rides are mixtures of hard work and coasting (usually caused by hills) but on the whole I don't push myself very much. Today I pushed on a flat section (the road between Hemel and St Albans) to maintain a speed of about 20 mph (which is fast for me, if not for serious cyclists). After that I relaxed  but nevertheless felt I had achieved something.
I thought, in fact, that I had earned a beer but delayed the reward until evening when I could be joined by my wife.
I have taken a picture of the pub sign because I think it is interesting. The pub itself was part of the redevelopment of the old John Dickinson paper mill at Apsley (hence the name) and the sign is a picture of what the main building used to look like. The designers from Fullers had asked to see some photos from the John Dickinson archive and chose this view, which they embellished with cars and pedestrians. It is a stylised reminder of what was here and how it used to be

No comments: