Wednesday, March 30, 2011

2011 Streak 88/365: Knees

2011 Streak 88/365: Walk - 3.2 miles, Time - 1hr, Weather - occasional spots of rain

It is time to talk about knees and the reason for not running, so today's picture is the nearest I can come to a representation. These are vents from our local sorting office, showing their age and corroding badly (quite a metaphor).  
I would guess that it is 1970/80s building, which when it opened must have looked quite hi-tech and spacey but it hasn't weathered well. The white metal cladding now looks dirty and a bit grimy and along the walls their are water stains. The problems with all buildings like this is always maintenance. It is amazing how often that falls off the budget. For a time everything seems OK but if it is neglected for too long, eventually things fall apart. I wonder if this has happened to this building - I will have to ask a postman. 
Same with my knees I obviously didn't maintain them well enough. I keep on thinking that I ought to try running again. I keep on thinking that it has been so long they must be right by now. I keep thinking … 
But I have a simple test: the knee will be healed enough for running when I can get up or kneel down without thinking. At the moment it is still a bit like a rugby scrum (crouch, pause, engage). This has been very apparent the last couple of days when I have been decorating the kitchen (the reason this blog is little bit behind hand). Getting down to paint the skirting boards has been a multi stage manoeuvre. It is not yet good enough
So I will have to wait a little longer, stretch as much as I can, and try not to think too much about corroding vents.

2 comments:

Revrunner said...

Ah, yes; the old corroding knees syndrome. In my case, I'm riding more these days because of tightening tendons in my feet. No matter, cycling is great fun and sometimes even a more practical alternative. Just keep on moving, right?

Highway Kind said...

Oh yes - the most important thing is to keep moving