Monday, March 14, 2011

2011 Streak 72/365: Part of the Harry Potter industry

2011 Streak 72/365: Cycling - 22.5 miles, Time 1hr 37 min, Wether - damp and grey
Somethings happen almost by accident.
Leavesden Aerodrome was important in the 2nd World War for the manufacture of Mosquito aircraft. After the war Rolls Royce used it to manufacture helicopter engines but, as is the way with much much British manufacturing, they decided it was uneconomic and closed it down. This was in the mid 1990s at the same time as they were about to film 'Goldeneye. Unfortunately (or fortunately as it turned out) Pinewood Stuios were booked up and they had to find a new location. The old hanger like sheds of Leavesden Aerodrome were perfect and since then many major films have been shot here, including all the Harry Potters.
Harry Potter is such an important cultural artefact that Warner Bros, who now own the studios have decided to build a new visitor attraction based around the films/stories.. They are building two huge, new studios and this is a picture of one of them being constructed.
I took it for two reasons. The first was as an excuse to tell the story of Leavesden Studios, use it as an allegory of the British economy and end with some smartarsed comment about how we have moved from manufacturing to magic. But that would not be right or true. I actually believe that cultural constructs and industries built around stories are just as valuable and worthwhile as anything else. In fact we should take pride in anything we do well.
The second was simple: I like construction sites and seeing things being built. I like seeing the process and looking at the machinery involved (here we have a rather wonderful extendable platform that looks a bit like a coiled spring). 
I am very much like Jerome K Jerome, who expressed it perfectly:
             “I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.”

2 comments:

runnergirl training said...

Interesting!I did not know any of that information. Thanks for sharing!

Adele said...

We made one of those out of technical Lego you know.

Last summer, when we were catching a train from King's Cross, I noticed a Platform 9 3/4. Really. I then noticed the beautiful steam engine and realised it was the Hogwarts Express, they were filming. For a moment I did think the platform sign was a permanent feature!