Monday, March 21, 2011

2011 Streak 80/365: Early Morning Mist

2011 Streak 80/365: Cycle - 17.5 miles, Time - 1hr 18min, Weather - early mist that later lifted

Busy day today with the only opportunity for exercise before breakfast. So I was up at 6 and out of the door as soon as I had had a drink of water.
One of the things that really impressed me during Janathon was the number of people who would fit in an early run whilst it was still dark. Braving the cold and dark showed great resolve and I salute all who did it. I only went out today because it now lighter and slightly warmer at 6 o'clock.
There is a certain pleasure in being out and about a little before the rush. As you go through the streets you see the signs of a community waking up and rather smugly you think of your own virtue in being out in the bracing air instead of warm and sleepy in the house. But I must guard against this!
Smugness is really neither smart nor attractive. We know exercise is good for us and that everybody benefits from regularly raising their heart rate but we tend to enjoy what we do and so we shouldn't give ourselves too much credit - especially as we know there are very many people who can go faster, longer, endure more, and who are more dedicated.
My ride today took me through the woodlands of Ashridge, which were swathed in mist. However there was no sense of oppressive grey that has been the dominant feature of the weather so far this year. It had more of a morning feeling - something that would soon lift to reveal a fine day. 
It was an early morning ride with an added sense of anticipation

2 comments:

runnergirl training said...

I always enjoy your pictures & descriptions of the daily run! Good job!

Highway Kind said...

Thanks RG.

I like it the way your blog covers all the serious stuff about running.