Tuesday, March 29, 2011

2011 Streak 86/365: Gade Valley Harriers Training Run

2011 Streak 86/365: Walk - 5.72 miles, Time - 1hr 50min, Weather - mild and pleasant

Last month I took a picture of the clubhouse as people were about to pack-up, after a marathon training run. For this Sunday's run I arrived earlier and took a picture of one of the speedy ones, who is not only completing his twenty miles but also posing for the camera .
I was impressed by how fresh the early finishers were after a tough 20 miles. It is not a particularly easy course as there are a couple of steepish climbs, and of course for every steep up there is a steep down and these can be just as hard. So to arrive at the end composed and happy is an achievement (even if it is what you hope from a training run).
The route is actually a couple of hundred yards longer than 20 miles and there is a distance marker in the hedge, just behind the girl in the photo. One of the things that amused me was the next person to finish stopped running and walked the rest of the way. he was obviously a very precise man. His target was obviously to run twenty miles and once he had done that he was finished - no matter that there was only a a few yards left to go.
Sometimes I think we can be rather rigid about numbers!

1 comment:

Adele said...

I can relate the man who stopped at the marker, after 20 miles you feel able to enjoy the stroll back to base. I did just that on my 20 miler recently.

Oh to be as fresh as the man with his arms in the air!