Friday, March 11, 2011

2011 Streak 69/365: Brightly dark

2011 Streak 69/365: Walk 3.67 miles, Time - 1hr 15min, Weather - clear and bright
Another day with sunlight and so I took a picture of shadows on an old brick wall. Actually I am a bit surprised there haven't been more pictures of old brickwork because I find the variations of texture, colour and wear fascinating, in an idle sort of way.
This is part of the 18th Century walled garden near to St Albans Abbey.
I was there because I felt tired and didn't want to go for a long walk of bike ride. Instead I hopped on a bus, at random, and then walked around for a bit. As St Albans is a place I like to visit and the cathedral is a particular favourite,  it was a good bus to catch.
The peculiar thing is that although St Albans is only 7 miles away from where I live there is no easy way to walk there. There is no footpath alongside the road that links the two towns and so you have to walk in the road, which is a bit scary the car go fast. Surprisingly there are no alternative routes over the fields.
I find this strange because I am sure the Abbey used to be the dominant church in times past and there would have been footpaths to Hemel Hempstead for the monks to use. But no more. Of course road planners would not think people would want to walk, or run, between the two towns. Perhaps they are right but the consequence is that when I plan my outings I don't think of St Albans enough.

1 comment:

runnergirl training said...

Great pic! Nice post of your run. Thanks for sharing!