Saturday, January 01, 2011

Janathon Day 1: a walk on the moor

Day 1 Walk: 11.2km, 2.45 hours, Weather: misty moisty.

I did not get out early but even at 10.30 the streets were still very, very quiet. In the soft, grey, misty light with its soft focus everything looked a little unnatural; almost as if I was it was a replica of the place where I lived but not properly populated. Those people we did pass were more likely to look at you and exchange a greeting - rather nice but not quite normal for a southern town. New Year's Day in the morning has a special atmosphere and I am glad Janathon forced me outside to sense it.
All in all it was a success - a pleasant amble. If I had been wearing a Garmin the watch would have probably have given up in boredom - reckoning that there was too little movement to measure. But it was all I could do. If I walked faster I started to feel my knee, so I eased back into the pace I could sustain. Nevertheless the cumulative effect of getting out each day should be good for endurance.
My aim was to search for livestock. It was always a motto for Juneathan that you could not have too many pictures of cows so I thought I would start on the same theme in January - except this time with sheep.
There is not a lot more to say apart from the fact that I kept a look out for runners. There were fewer than expected. Those I did see looked over dressed with hats, gloves, and many layers. I don't think they quite trusted the fact that the cold snap had lifted. I hope the thaw continues; I was getting very tired of frozen ground

4 comments:

J said...

I love the sheep. We have lots of sheep round here. Not many cows though. You can never have too many cows.

JogBlog said...

Sorry, that was me. It posted my comment before I'd filled in the form thingy properly.

Adele said...

Baaaaaaa! Gloves seemed like a good idea to me earlier, but a hat would definitely have been too much.

Anonymous said...

Lovely sheep! I'm very pleased that you're on board Janathon and wish that I had thought of the phrase "misty moisty".