Thursday, December 30, 2010

Janathon for the Lame

At the last moment I have signed up for Janathon - Oh how I resisted!
The problem was one of self-esteem. I did not think I could participate in any meaningful way without running and at the moment I cannot run. My knee remains totally mangled - tendons are in tatters and refuse to settle back to normal. I have the feeling it will  take a long time to heal. Nothing much can be done apart from gently working and stretching within limits of motion. It is rather pathetic, which is why I thought the idea of a meaningful amount of exercise each day was a bust.
It was Cathy, the Janathon ringmaster, who changed my mind. She suggested I could walk. Brilliant! I really hadn't thought of that as my definition of exercise is a little rigid: it should involve raising your pulse and getting breathless at some point.  Nevertheless walking might just work.
I cannot stride out in the purposeful way of an active and serious walker, because that also puts strain on my knee, but I can amble along trying to tread lightly and if I go for long enough then that can make up for the lack of athleticism and vigour.
So the plan is quite simple: every morning I will go out for at least an hour and explore my neighbourhood, starting from my front door. Each day I will try to find something interesting and take a picture and that will be the blog. 
The name  'Running Matters' should really be changed to 'Ambling About', except there will also be some cycling. 
So huzza for Janathon. Huzza getting out each day and developing good habits, and good luck to the 150 people who have signed up. There cannot be a more auspicious day for a new beginning than 1.1.11

5 comments:

Adele said...

Oh fantastic! I'm really pleased you're able to join us in the madness. I'd not noticed the date, very interesting...

JogBlog said...

I too am very pleased you're joining us. It wouldn't be the same without you.

Unknown said...

Glad you're joining the fun and sorry to hear about the injury.

buryblue said...

I was injured for Juneathon so I know the frustration only too well _ i substituted running for press ups - Good luck

Highway Kind said...

Thanks everyone. I hope all of us have a good January