Saturday, January 08, 2011

Janathon Day 8: afternoon sun

Janathon Day 8: Cycle 20 miles, Time 1hr 35 min, Weather after the rain it turned bright, but still there was a cold wind

One of the fascinating things about my borough is its diversity. Hemel Hempstead itself is one of the original new towns planned just after the last war and developed in the 50s and 60s, around an existing settlement of 20,000 people.  It was part of a plan to devolve people from London, especially those displaced by the Blitz and so quite a number of the initial population came from the East End. It has a very different atmosphere to the villages that surround it.
The countryside around is just that - countryside, the rural Home Counties full of both traditional money and City money. Perhaps Pride and Prejudice was set somewhere around here (based on the distance to Gracechurch Street and from Watford some people have suggested that Hemel (old town) was Meryton). It is completely feasible and it is very easy to look at so many of the villages and picture them in a period drama.
When I go out on my bike I will often hear the sounds of clay pigeon shooting and pass fields of expensive looking horses. I rather like disconnect and the fact that it feels like a slightly different world as my background and outlook could not be more different.  But nevertheless I still feel part of the place.
To illustrate this blather, today's picture is of a house in the village of Little Gaddesden, which I thought looked rather lovely in the afternoon sun. It is in effect me with my face pressed against the railings looking at how your averagely wealthy person lives.
I look and I cycle on.

3 comments:

Adele said...

This kind of exploration seems to give us permission to stop and stare at all this wealth and comfort. It does look like a lovely house, and we were lucky to get this kind of sunshine after the bleak start this morning. I'm enjoying journeying with your around Hemel.

Anonymous said...

Fab picture. I live in Luton by the airport and often cycle through Peters Green, Whitwell and Codicote - 7 miles away from Luton geographically but a million miles away in terms of wealth and lifestyle...it's great seeing how the other half live isn't it? Love your blog...will keep an eye out for the conceptual art!

Highway Kind said...

Adele - I was particularly impressed by the garden which is designed to match the age of the house.

I just find it fascinating to look at places for signs as to how they evolved. I am always pleased when there is a date plaque.

fortnightflo almost a neighbour. I have cycled through some of the villages south of Luton and absolutely they have the same traces of wealth