Thursday, January 20, 2011

Janathon Day 20: A walk and a donkey

Janathon Day 20: Walk 10.92km, Time 2hrs 10min, Weather once more a damp grey


As we all know Janathon has many rooms. Not everyone is able to run everyday, some will have a different main exercise, whilst others like IrunbecauseIlovefood will go for the prize of attempting the greatest variety of activities (kick boxing should definitely be worth double points). Me I am competing in the cute animal section - so today I bring you a donkey.
Today also illustrated one of the advantages of walking over running - you can catch a bus back. This is impossible for me when running, as I sweat too much and carry no extra clothing to keep me warm when I stop; however after a walk there are no problems. This gives a certain freedom in route planning as you can walk further from home.
I suppose the running alternative would be to take a bus ride and run back. I can see the advantage to this when planning a long run as part of marathon training.  You are forced to run the distance because you need to get home - there are no short cuts. A friend of mine used this method in his training, except without the bus, his wife used to drive him to the point of abandonment.
But I think I prefer the walking order: exercise, coffee and then bus.
All I did today was walk to Berkhamsted along the canal. Although the weather had decided to revert to grey mizzle, it was actually very pleasant. I don't know why but today I exchanged greetings with everyone I passed - this is not the norm but obviously some days are more friendly than others. Even the donkey was friendly - he came up wanting to be petted, though that was a bit difficult through the barrier of a hedge and barbed wire

1 comment:

Adele said...

Oh, flippin' 'eck, that's cute, I could just scratch his little head...

I like your order: exercise, coffee and then bus. It does sound like a good idea to plonk yourself somewhere and have to run back, if a bit tortuous. I might have to resort to such things during this marathon training!

More furry animals please!