Monday, January 31, 2011

Janathon Day 31: In summary

Janathon Day 31: Walk - 17.47km, Time - 3hrs, Weather - wonderfully bright
Today is the last day of January and so the objective has been achieved: every day of the month I have walked or cycled and taken a picture. No backsliding and no cheating by posting an existing photos (which would have been very bad because the whole purpose was to post a photo of something found on the day). 
For today I thought I needed a swan. If you spend as much time by the canal as I do, you see many swans and so they should included in the records. I was very lucky because there was a beautifully white swans gliding around the marina, where the water looked very black. It was a lovely contrast. I am quite happy with this as my final image for Janathon.
As for exercise, the totals were:
Time - 50.5 hrs, or approximately 1hr 38min per day on average
Distance - 315.8 miles or 10.19 miles a day on average
Cycling - 11 days, 200.7 miles, average 18.25 miles
Walking - 20 days, 115.1 miles, average 5.75
However the totals are mostly irrelevant because they only show I put in a decent shift. They give no indication of the things I learnt along the way, which were:
  1. The need to take at least one useable photo a day not only made me look at things more closely, it also made the trips more enjoyable. 
  2. I was really surprised at how many images I found. Many times I went out with the idea of  taking a particular picture but junked it for something else that had been randomly spotted along the way. 
  3. No matter how well you think you know an area there is always something new to see.
  4. Getting out each day in January is not only possible, it is desirable. It helped my mood no end and changed a month I usually endure into one I positively enjoyed.
  5. I don't have to run. As long as I can et about somehow there is plenty of satisfaction. But...
  6. It is all very well being patient with my knee but I still want to get back running as soon as possible - when I passed runners I often felt a small pang of envy.  
  7. Walking has one advantage over running in that you can take the bus back and that is brilliant as it extends your range.
  8. The sense of satisfaction is increased enormously if you feel you have fought the elements and won. Going out when it is cold or wet brings perverse rewards.
  9. There are an awful lot of dedicated and determined and talented people.
  10. Everybody who took part in Janathon should be congratulated.
Finally the person most deserving of congratulation is Jogblog, who made it all happen. Without her there would have been nothing; especially for me who would not have taken part if she had not suggested I could walk instead of run.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful photo! Thank you.

JogBlog said...

Lovely photo and I'm really pleased you took part. It wouldn't be the same without you.

Hels said...

Beautiful photo! Well done on completion. :)

Revrunner said...

I'm envious of the photo! :-) Congratulations on successful completion of the Janathon.

sue said...

what a stunning photograph! and well done on your Janathon achievements, walking, cycling and photographing. I enjoy reading your blog, even though I don't often have anything meaningful to say.

Thank you for your observations on life and the environment we live in.

Highway Kind said...

Thank you all. The next move is now to redefine the project for the rest of the year

Adele said...

That photo Is gorgeous, I could say you saved the best til last, but lots of your photos have been rather lovely. Your point about feeling a pang when passing runners interested me, I had been wondering if you had sneaked any running in. I hope you get to join us all soon.

(will you be at the get-together?)

JL said...

Congratulations! I've been your 'official' reviewer, and have enjoyed your interesting blogs. Well done on completing Janathon with 31 days of blogs and exercise. I feel like you've really embodied the sense that there's more to Janathon than running... Looking forward to your ongoing photo project - hope you enjoy the rest of 2011!
Cheers,
Jules (@2011miles)