Thursday, January 27, 2011

janathon Day 27: A proverb about moss

Janathon Day 27: Walk - 10.65km, Time - 2hr 5min, Weather - grey and cold
So today we use a photograph to illustrate a proverb: 
'A rolling stone gathers no moss' has always puzzled me because I have always taken it to mean that someone who is rootless, feckless, and will not settle down will not accumulate wealth. In other words if you drift from thing to thing and never focus on anything in particular, you will end up with nothing. 
It makes perfect sense but why would you want moss?
I have since found out that other people understand the proverb differently. To them moss signifies stagnation and to avoid crusting over you have to keep moving, keep active, be creative, and retain your life force.
That also makes sense but why a stone? And anyway aren't rolling stones dangerous, usually caused by landslips and earthquakes?
Proverbs can be tricky. 
Perhaps todays photo can help. It is a detail from a funny little boat moored between Hemel and Berkhamsted, which I passed on my walk. As you can see it is not lovingly maintained. It looks almost abandoned and the rope has obviously been untouched for so long it is completely overgrown with moss. Not nice. The moss is the result of neglect. 
 "A well loved boat gathers no moss"  Is my new proverb - more accurate but it does not roll off the tongue. I don't think it will catch on.
On the Janathon front today is a landmark as I have now walked for more than 100 miles. So I can take some mild satisfaction, put the kettle on and have a nice cup of tea.

1 comment:

Adele said...

100 miles of walking, excellent! It's funny, I really like moss on a wall, I enjoy stroking it. But the moss in my lawn, now that's a different matter.