Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Juneathon 2011 Day 7: New kit

2011 Streak Day 157/365: Run - 3.05 miles, Time 27min 24sec, Weather - blue sky, white clouds, sun
Part 1 - Shopping at SimplySweat
I have been doing some mystery shopping at a new (or at least new to me) online fitness store: Simply Sweat. The picture shows what I got and I must say I am pleased. 
How well did the shop perform?
Actually rather brilliantly. On Friday morning I placed my order and by mid day I had a message to say the items had been dispatched, then on Monday I had a further email to say the parcel would be delivered between 11:49 and 12:49 (49!) and that someone should be into sign for it. It arrived at 11:54 so the logistics could not have been better.
How was the site?
It is quite well designed with a clean look and it gives you all the options you need to  find what you want and order the display. When you select an item to look at the pictures are clear and description prominent. If I was going to be picky I would say the tabs alongside the description are for standard information on delivery and return, which would be better on the header bar. The tabs should be for item-specific information like sizing. 
I have a thing about the importance of sizing information, because small, medium, and large are vague concepts interpreted differently by different manufacturers. You need to know which ones are guided by the sizes of Ethiopian distance runners and which are in line with the average customers of Marks and Spencer. The site had this information, which is good, but I didn't notice the button at first, which is why I think it would be better as a tab.
Anyway I had all the information to make a choice and once that was done the shopping basket and ordering was all pretty standard.
How good was the range?
The first thing to say is that it is a fitness site and not running specific and it does not have as wide a range of manufacturers as some other online stores. But that is not a problem as there is enough choice and in Ron Hill, Helly Hansen, and Gore they have brands I have bought before and like.
Did I like what I bought?
Yes I am well pleased. The shorts and water bottle belt are just dandy and the shirt looks good and is well made but unfortunately will have to go back. It is my fault, I didn't pay close enough attention to the description.  It clearly said it was stretchy and tight fitting but I just saw a red T shirt and thought 'that will do' (after all a T shirt is a T shirt). But I don't like the feel of clingy clothes (it might be different if I had a six pack to show off).
It's a bit of a shame but it is the downside of internet shopping in general - you don't get to feel the material. If I had been in a shop I would have known instantly that it was wrong. As it is I now get to test if Simply Sweat are as efficient with their returns as they are with dispatch.
Part 2 - Juneathon 
Oh boy was today hard. I could not get out until the evening but when the time came I felt so tired it was a real effort to get out the door. My whole body rebelled against the idea of doing anything and I had to give myself a good talking to before finally lacing-up my trainers.
The deal was a short run. in the event I ran 3 and did not feel too bad. I am not going to give you one of those motivational anecdotes about going out tired and coming back invigorated. I came back and feeling OK, but in fairness that is a a lot better than I when I went out.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Hi there David, Thanks for the post. Looks great. Hope your happy with everything. Please check back to our store if you need anything in the future.

All the best