Monday, June 06, 2011

Juneathon 2011 Day 6: After the rain

2011 Streak Day 157/365: Walk - 4.37 miles, Time - 1hr 26min, Weather - soft mistiness after rain
By yesterday evening the dark grey clouds had settled-in, and solidly it rained: all through the night and into the morning, with a steady battering rhythm. It didn't stop suddenly but gradually eased off until there was no clear divide between raining and not raining.
Afterwards it felt wonderfully fresh as if all the plants had drunk in the water and in return offered-up their perfume. The air was calm, with a misty softness and the green of the foliage looked once again glossy. it was good to be out by the canal. 
Walking was a better than running though, because the towpath was covered in puddles and it would have only taken a short time for my trainers to become soaked (and running with wet feet is not something I greatly enjoy).
As ever, after rain, I was on the look-out for photos of water droplets and I rather liked this of a knob inserted into a tiller. Presumably the person doing the steering rests his forearm along the tiller and grasps the handle. Perhaps it is easier - I don't know but I have not seen it on other boats so it is not a generally accepted design.
One of the great pleasures of the canal is the constant variety of boats. Not only the constant shuffling as they change moorings but the way each individual boat is adapted and personalised.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Walking was better than running"...my sentiments for the day entirely! Wish I had the patience for a photo - a rest was all I could manage mid cycle.