Saturday, June 04, 2011

Juneathon 2011 Day 4: Walking in cities

2011 Streak Day 155/365: Walk - 7.3 miles, Time - 1hr 40min, Weather - hot like summer
Today we met up with friends in London and instead of using public transport, walked everywhere. It is remarkable how the miles tick-up unnoticed; probably because you are always moving into a different street, with a different view and a different atmosphere. I think this constant visual stimulation messes with your sense of distance because your mind is occupied with other things
We spent some time at the South Bank, which was very festive with its false beach (or more accurately a long thin sandpit). Today's photo of a boat installation gives some idea of the effort they have made to transform a concrete walkway and make it  fun.
'Festive' is the proper word because it is part of a celebration of the 60th anniversary of the Festival of Britain. This is something I think well worth celebrating and I am pleased it is happening but I cannot quite contain my joy is not totally unalloyed because they have messed-up the original logo.
I have written before about the work of Abram Games, who was responsible for the 1951 logo and I am pleased his design is being used. Except (and this is a bloody huge except) they have inserted the logo of their sponsors and completely upset the balance. Hrrumph!
They thing is we are now so used to seeing sponsorship logos on everything that we fail to register the intrusion. My wife didn't even notice the heavy hand of Mastercard until I pointed it out, thereupon she said "Oh yes" in a way that suggested I might be on my own in being upset. she might be right but nevertheless I still maintain my grumpiness is justified.  

2 comments:

Adele said...

I took Hector to 'the beach' on Easter Sunday. He wasn't convinced and we ended up down on the 'Thames beach', far more interesting, with pebbles to find and water to scoop.

Highway Kind said...

It looked great fun. There were so many families having a great time.

Did you see the big straw fox - I rather liked that.