Sunday, June 05, 2011

Juneathon 2011 Day 5: Slower but happier

2011 Streak Day 156/365: Run - 4.05 miles, Time - 40min 1sec, Weather - overcast, spitty rain

Diggers add personality to any driveway. As evidence I present the example I saw on today’s run. It is odd to think of machines having a personality - but they do. Shapes make associations to which you react and there is something very pleasing about the roundedness of this little digger, standing upright next to the SUV.
As for the run itself I was a bit surprised at how slow it was. It is not that I have been running fast recently but all my runs have been in the 9:20 to 9:35 range and this one did not feel a lot different. So what happened?
It is actually quite simple: the impression we have of any activity is over influenced by how we finish. Today I felt tired when I started and began very, very easily and gradually eased into the run. I finished at my current, standard pace but started more slowly, so the overall average was affected.
I am not at all bothered at my pace at the moment (I only look at my watch when I have stopped). As I have said my only concern is to run easily, concentrate on form, and stay injury free. In those terms I am doing well and today’s run is a significant marker because I didn’t once think of my knee. On every other run at some point I have paid attention and monitored how things were going. Today it never crossed my mind - and that is the way it ought to be. Wonderful!
If things continue like this I might be able to start my half marathon training programme with a modest degree of confidence.

No comments: