Friday, February 04, 2011

February Continuance Day 4:Three play

February Continuance Day 4: Walk - 4.3 miles, Time - 1hr 15min, Weather - blowing hard (and of course cloudy and grey)


I am a bit worried about my title for today's blog. I looked-up the phrase in the Urban Dictionary (an invaluable aid for someone like me who is, eh-mm,  somewhat insulated from the language of the street), and I think I would like to draw a veil over both proffered meanings. I am especially alarmed about the car game - it could be most awkward when you get out to visit a service station.
Nevertheless three play is an accurate title for the picture as it shows a kids playground, the town's running track, and the Snow Centre. It is the first time I have walked down this particular street and seen how they line up. When I noticed it a little light flickered and the conjunction pleased me.
For some reason I have only used the track a couple of times and both times I thought it was fun but at the same time it felt very lonely. It is very strange: I am very happy with my own company running along the pavements, on trails or by the canal - it seems the most natural thing in the world. But running around a track by yourself seems remarkably artificial. 
Perhaps I should join the athletics club that uses the track two evenings a week but I am a reluctant to do that. The clue is in the name - it is for  bright young things who are a bit speedy (they do though have a road runners section more suited to people like my, but unsurprisingly they run on the road). The upshot is that Hemel has a good resource that I underuse. It is nobody's fault but mine and when I am fit again I might have to reconsider my attitude

2 comments:

Adele said...

I too am guilty of not using a very nearby running track, and a recently re-surfaced one at that. I just don't see the point unless you are a speedy type who wants to get speedier, or you need to set a pedometer or something.

If the running club timings were a little more family friendly, I might pop along too, but also find the presence of said speedy types a bit intimidating.

Do you see many people using the track? Our track seems very underused, today there was a lively football match taking place in the middle!

Highway Kind said...

Interesting about use.

No I have never seen many people using the track. I know there are power walking sessions a couple of afternoons a week. and the club uses it a couple of evenings but I don't think there are many ad hoc users.

I forgot to mention that you have to pay to use the facility and to do that you have to have good reason