Friday, February 25, 2011

2011 Streak 56/365: Abandoned Digger

2011 Streak 56/365: Walk - 5.04 miles, Time - 1hr 35min, Weather - pleasant and springlike but gradually clouding over



Diggers cost a chunk of change and need to be used to repay the investment. On the whole they do not spend their time lost, beside a little heap of gravel, doing nothing.
I have passed this digger numerous times and it has not moved. There is no sign of continuing activity, it is as if someone, after a half-hearted attempt at moving some earth, has given-up. But they have left a digger behind, abandoned with a coat still in the drivers cab; as if he finished one evening and walked away.
This is not a good plan. It already looks as if the rear window has been smashed and it might not long before it is fully taken apart. There will soon have to be a new warning sign, posted on the fence, telling us that this is not a suitable area for play, or the wilful destruction of equipment. We obviously need to be told these things. Especially as the current warning sign is now out of date. It says: "Danger Men At Work".
Although I have walked along this street regularly, I cannot remember when there was last activity. I do not know how long the digger has been abandoned. This says a lot about memory - you just do not notice when things are not happening. Only after a period of time does it sink in that nothing has moved.
As my 2011 project is as much about observation as it is about exercise, I find that interesting.

3 comments:

Adele said...

We could give it a loving home ;)

Highway Kind said...

Yes - the picture was really for you and Hector

Adele said...

I thought maybe it was. Hector wouldn't let me scroll down to read the text: 'I want to see the picture!'