Tuesday, February 15, 2011

2011 Streak 46/365: Empty Common

2011 Streak 46/365: Walking - 7.23 miles, Time - 2hr 5min, Weather - grey and damp
The picture  is a bit of artificial colour for another grey day - sweatshirts on a market stall.
Today was a Cambridge day. My usual practise has been to drive to the park and ride at Trumpington and then catch the bus. But the current exercise regime required a change: walking, instead of the bus.
Trumpington is only 3 miles the centre of the city, so park and walk is eminently practicable. Going in I put my head down, completed the journey in 45 minutes, and felt quite satisfied that I had done more than amble. Other than that there is nothing more to say - it was walking; that's all.
The journey back was more interesting. Because I explored a little; and found a footpath between Brooklands Avenue and Long Road, that followed the path of a stream. The city melted away, there was nobody else around and for some reason it felt like being in a hidden place. Behind an old iron fence there were allotments and later I found a sign to tell me the area was called Empty Common - a splendid name. 
I could tell the iron railing was old because in one place there was a tree that had grown around a post, squeezing it to death - quite fascinating. 
It is noticing little things like that, that make walking a pleasure

3 comments:

Revrunner said...

Having been walking myself the past couple of days, I can second that sentiment about seeing more.

WildWill said...

I like the railing photo :)

Highway Kind said...

RR - yes the good thing about walking is that you don't feel you have to keep the pace up. You can take time to look at things more closely.

WW I think it looks a bit sinister like the tree is very slowly eating its prey