Thursday, February 03, 2011

February Continuance Day 3: A walk to the cinema

February Continuance: Walk - 6.75 miles, Time - 2hrs, Weather - some sun , a little milder
I have been agonising about the current project: wandering around, taking a photo, and then wittering about something that is often local to this part of West Herts. It seems a little out of place on a running blog - a confusion of purpose.
When I started this blog my aim was to explore the reasons why running was so satisfying and describe the feelings and thoughts it unleashed. It was never a training blog, where I recorded the details of my running. But the underlying concept was that I was running regularly and could therefore write from my experience. However because my knee now hurts and I am not running and it is difficult to carry on in the same way. So there has to be some change but it can't be too arbitrary: there must be some continuity, which is why what i write about has to be based on exercise.
By that light describing my attempt to make 2011 the year of the streak is just about acceptable.  
Obviously it is not a running streak - it is a 'moving about a bit' streak. At the moment that is only walking and cycling but I hope the running comes back some time soon. But all that matters is I keep moving.
I really am not sure how long will last because a lack the resolve and determination of many (I will cite the obvious example of Iliketocount who runs through injury and pain in a way I wouldn't even contemplate). But it has already changed the way I think about transport.
Today, for example, I went to the cinema in Berkhamsted but never even thought about going by car. Walking one way and taking the bus for the other is such a good way to go. Walking along the canal put me in such a good mood: my surroundings were calm and peaceful and it infected my mood. My journey gave me a sense of satisfaction and I don't think I have ever said that when emerging from a car.
Today's photo comes from the canal - one of the boats had obviously lost a crate of apples overboard and they were bobbing about. I thought about Halloween games and how you wouldn't necessarily choose to play them by the canal.
P.S. I will write more about the Rex cinema in Berkhamsted later. it really is the most attractive and comfortable cinema I know. I will be interested if anybody knows of another cinema where you can drink wine whilst watching the film. (Positively no fizzy colas or popcorn).

No comments: