Monday, February 07, 2011

2011 Streak 38/365: Looking at the ground

2011 Streak 38/365: Walk - 4 miles, Time - 1hr 10min, Weather - grey, windy, some rain then signs of a blue sky
Sometimes the pleasures from being out and about, looking for the daily photo, are quite unlikely. Who would have thought that I could become fascinated looking at a rotting tree root that had been colonised by fungi? Looking more closely at your surroundings does not necessarily mean keeping your head up at all times, sometimes what is interesting is on the ground. 
The need to take a photo has completely changed my outlook. Until something is in the camera, it on my mind. All the time I am sifting views, looking for things that either represent a narrative or have some visual interest; I am much more aware than I would be normally and because I am more alert it makes walking or cycling more enjoyable.
In someways it is similar to listening to music on your Ipod - it moves your thinking away from the mechanical act of moving your limbs.

1 comment:

Revrunner said...

I've often been fascinated by the seemingly infinite varieties of fungi out there as well as by their shapes and colors. You're right! Definitely adds interest to an outing.