Saturday, February 12, 2011

2011 Streak 42/365: Mizzle

2011 Streak 42/365: Cycle - 16.5 miles. Time - 1hr 15 min, Weather - mizzle
For the first time I have missed writing a blogpost on the day - but there really was no time.
Out for a quick ride, shower, change and then down to Winchester to help my daughter move. By the time I got back at 10 o'clock I was just too weary to think about going through the photographs and thinking of something to say. Instead I had a cup of tea and thought more about what a pleasant town Winchester seemed than I did about my cycle ride.
Nevertheless the ride was interesting because my reaction to the weather was pleasingly conflicted. On the one hand I was fed-up that the greyness had returned and once again there was a blanket of mizzle, which, after a time, can soak in and make you very wet. But on the other hand there was a softness to air and an atmosphere of gentle melancholia that can be quite appealing.
The photograph is chosen to illustrate how empty things can seem when the misty moist air blocks out the view. There is also something lonely about a tree left in the middle of a ploughed field. I have no idea why it is left there - surely it would be easier for the farmer if the field was uninterrupted?  I can't believe a farmer just wants to leave somewhere for birds to perch. There must be another reason.

No comments: