Sunday, February 13, 2011

2011 Streak 44/365: Whatever the Weather Sunday is for Exercise

2011 Streak 44/365: Cycle - 16.5 miles. Time - 1hr 13 min, Weather - wet and windy
It was difficult to get out this morning - a swirling wind and patches of rain made the house very difficult to leave. But I had no alternative: not only did the forecast say it would get worse later on, once more I had to go to Winchester. It was a repeat of Friday; ride, shower, sandwich, away.
Once out though there was pleasure in the exercise. Although it was wet it was not harsh and the ride was more than mere endurance.
There were a number of other people taking their sunday exercise. I passed a club run of cyclist (i.e. they were going in the opposite direction), who were split into a few groups of different speeds. The first group were intimidating in the way they hammered along - wow I could not even have got close for even a short time. It is a bit like when I see top marathon runners and realise their average pace is faster than my sprinting.
All you can do is stay in your own bubble. They do what they do and you do what you can.
I also passed a number of runners, as would be expected on a sunday in the prime training period for the London Marathon. Almost all of them were dressed in fluorescent tops, it seems that without me really noticing they have become the de facto standard for runners. When did that happen? and how come I only notice these things after everybody else?
There were three main colours: yellow, orange, and pink. Yellow was by far the most popular but by some odd quirk whenever I saw and orange top (which was only twice) there was someone in pink a little way ahead. "Do not catch them up" I thought, "those colours really would not look good side by side.". 
So my little survey showed there was a good reason to choose yellow - it doesn't matter who you run with, you will not clash.
Today's picture is of some snowdrops. The only reason I took it was that it cheered me up. The day might be miserable but they offer a tiny glimpse of something brighter ahead.

1 comment:

Adele said...

I'll have to remember that...if I ever get round to 'getting myself seen'! My approach is to wear the darkest colours possible so as not to be seen.