Saturday, February 12, 2011

2011 Streak 43/365: ladybird and squirrel

2011 Streak 43/365: Walk - 5 miles, Time 1hr 25min, Weather quite pleasant with bits of sunlight
Time for another animal picture but this time its the smallest of creatures. I don't know what ladybirds are doing out and about at this time of year. I thought they powered down in winter and went into some sort of suspended animation - but here is one quite happily wandering along a twig. 
I must admit I did spot the ladybird when walking along (that would have required powers of observation far in excess of my modest capabilities) instead I was attracted to the pattern of light and shade of a pile of twigs and only then saw the ladybird. Nevertheless it was a happy discovery.
It almost makes up for me being unable to record the most dramatic animal moment of my walk. It happened in a pathway that led to some woods. Either side there were panel fences enclosing trees, with the branches almost forming an arch over the path. When I was passing a squirrel climbed along a branch and leapt over to the opposite branch, right above my head. It then scuttled along the top of the fencing and even slipped down the side, still clinging onto the vertical face. it was so quick, there was no way I could reach for my camera. Instead I was dumbstruck watching the agility and scuttery speed of the legs. 
I then passed three gardens in a row that had bird food hanging off metal poles. A couple of feet from the ground the pole had a perspex cupola, like an open umbrella, to stop squirrels stealing the food. Having watched the squirrel in actionI knew how necessary the defence was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is virtually impossible to photograph a squirrel unless it is absorbed in nuts or similar. I have many photos from the red squirrel wood at Formby that are the tree based equivalent of spot the ball.

Hels said...

Squirrels are evil. They plan world domination.