Thursday, June 18, 2009

Thursday is Yoga Day

Yoga is my new activity for June and today was my second class i.e.1.5 hours of finding out how many things my body cannot do.

Most of the other people in the class have obviously been doing this for years and seem to lack tendons - they have nothing that stops them folding themselves flat from the waist, stretching their legs out, or twisting through 180 degrees. With me there are all sorts of conflicting forces.

Nevertheless it is interesting to notice how my body works: the bits that are strong, bits that are weak and the areas that just do not like being disturbed from their comfort zone. In common with many people who run, my hamstrings are tight and all the exercises that involve both straight legs and bending are quite uncomfortable. As my core is also relatively weak so things like the boat pose find me out big time. But nevertheless I quite enjoy struggling and sometimes there are fleeting moments of triumph, such as holding the crane (but you will notice that this pose involves no stretching). I am determined not to be discouraged by the gap between the example of the instructor and my slapdash approximation.

I know I will never throw a perfect shape but I'm not sure I want hyper-extended joints. I just want to find my own balance between strength, stamina and flexibility. This is a way of working at my weaknesses

Juneathon Day 18 stats

Yoga: 1hr 30 min

2 comments:

Megan Hall said...

Um, yes. I find out 3 days a week all the things my body cannot (yet) do. Like put my head on the ground between my legs. Or even put my hands flat on the floor with straight legs (see your comments re: runner's tight hamstrings). I'm thinking about taking a Yoga for Runner's class so I won't be alone in my weak core, tight hamstrings!

naukasana said...

Hello, I Like your blog, I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wish you best of luck for all your best efforts.