Sunday, June 28, 2009

Running in the Shade


In the hot weather it is good to have places like woods, or the canal to run - so much cooler than the roads. Unfortunately I have to do a certain amount of road work to get to and from the canal so the difference is noticeable. You can feel the heat being reflected from the concrete and coming from the canal it is like running into a warm blanket.

This morning I was early enough for the run to be pleasant - no middle of the day nonsense for this inveterate procrastinator. Oh no I was purposefully out of the door before nine (my plan had been 7:30 but lets not dwell on the odd, lost hour and a half). So I was out there with the dog walkers and a few other runners.

My plan was to run fairly easily, keeping my heart rate down, which I was doing quite well until I noticed I was catching up another runner and I knew I would speed up. It is unconscious urge but I knew I would not be able to stop myself. If I overtake someone (not something that frequently happens) I like to feel there is a perceptible difference in speed -not be like one lorry overtaking another on the motorway, so I raise my pace. After I had put a good distance between us I reverted to the slower speed and wondered what it was all about. Oh the psychology of running has many odd corners.

One of the things that keep running by the canal fresh is looking at the boats and the way they differ. Some have a lived-in shabbiness, whilst others gleam with bright paint and shiny brass. Today's picture shows some of the homely touches of flowers and ornaments on the roof.

Juneathon 28 stats:

Run distance: 10.5k
Run time: 60 minRunning in the Shade

1 comment:

Megan Hall said...

I have exactly the same problem! Though mostly I'm the one getting passed.

I'm loving finding new, shady places to run. I'd never been to Queens Wood before this weekend, and now I'm hooked.