Friday, June 26, 2009

Heavy Air


This morning was very grey and the air felt heavy, as if you were pushing through it. Everything was just a little bit harder.

One of the great mysteries of running (actually any activity) is why your mood and capabilities can vary so much. One day it can feel easy, as if you are floating (well actually that is a bit of an exaggeration as my running could never be described as floating) other days, the same route can feel like a treacle mine. You can look at all of the usual suspects: sleep, diet, amount of exercise, or general health, but sometimes there is no obvious answer except that all of us have good days and bad days and even the average ones are variable.

To me the key indicator is the comparison of mood between the beginning and end of the run. Almost invariably I feel more content, lighter in spirit, and that the time has been well spent. Even on bad days there is usually some satisfaction to be had and I feel better for having run.

Sometimes things change on the run itself. Today was a good example. I woke up feeling very lethargic and had to bully myself to get out of the door and for the first couple of km my legs felt very heavy but strangely things changed. I let my legs find their own rhythm and my mind wander so that the run went in a blur. When I got home I realised that I had enjoyed myself.

Today's route was along an old railway line , just an out and back to this bridge.

Juneathon Day 26 stats

Run distance: 7.6k
Run Time: 42 min

1 comment:

Eva said...

Sometimes you have to drag yourself out there and then it turns into a great run. I'm loving the pics!