Sunday, June 21, 2009

Juneathon 19 & 20


Sometimes the news baffles me. Apparently, we learnt this week, the Queen is going to have. Cue acres of wasted news print (and of course the Sun in its wonderfully modest way claimed it was all their idea). But where is the story in the Queen allowing her gardeners to grow fruit and vegetables in a tiny portion of the Buckingham Palace garden? As most stately homes have a kitchen garden this small plot is hardly a green breakthrough. It is certainly not a proper allotment.

Proper allotments are communal, have an ethos of make-do and mend (like coloured plastic bags to scare away the birds), and ideally sheds. They are productive retreats and this is one of three I might pass on my runs.

There Is nobody about because it is first thing in the morning - a pre breakfast run. I sometimes like to do this on steady/easy days where the run is an hour or less. The whole idea is to get out of the door before I realise what I am doing (kit on, a drink of water and then gone). There is plenty of time to wake up on the warm-up jog.

On good days you see the world waking up and you feel as if you are unfolding the day. Juneathon 19 was such a day.

Juneathon 19 stats

Run distance: 10k
Time: 56 min

Saturday was a gym day as I realised that I had not done much resistance training recently. I started with 5k on the treadmill, which included some faster intervals , before moving on to the weights machines.

I suppose, if I was serious, I would learn a few routines with free weights but I am quite conservative and stick to the machines. I don't know why, probably a psychological block that thinks the free weights area is for men with broad knotted shoulders and wide biceps who grunt when they lift. I imagine a filtering device (like they have at Alton Towers where they won't let you on a ride if you are too short) in this case it would be a hole with the message 'if your arm can pass through this, you are too weedy'.

So I stick with the machines and work on the assumption that if I do enough of them I will cover most of the major muscle groups but today I feel weary so only do half the number I should.

Juneathon 20 stats:

Treadmill: 5k
Machines: abs, back, leg press, shoulder press.
Time: 1 hr

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant. I love the thought of the "Weedyometer" near the free-weights in the gym!!!

Adele said...

Very good! I favour free weights myself, but can't be doing with all the grunting (the muscle men's not mine!).

There is a fantastic allotment area I pass on my marsh runs and the sheds always delight and amuse me, such a clever gathering of old doors, bits of stairs, windows etc. I'll remember to photograph it next time.