Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Goin Slow


My attitude to long runs is a bit feeble. For anything under 2 hours I am perfectly relaxed , and know I can do it and be in reasonable shape. Anything over and I worry about strength leaking away, struggling to finish and ending up with a mild feeling of defeat rather than satisfaction. So at the moment I am working at normalising runs of 2 - 2hr 15min. So far this Juneathon I have done three.

In some ways yesterday's was the best for two reasons. The first was run on the trails of Ashridge, amongst woods but also with lovely views of open the open countryside. The second was that I had a breakthrough in being able to run at a lower heart rate, which probably meant I was using more fat for fuel and could keep going for longer without feeling weak.

Trying to run at a lower heart rate does not sound like much of a trick - all you have to do is slow down, but I find it a struggle. There is an internal rhythm that almost unconsciously imposes itself so that whenever I try to run slowly it gradually picks things up and when I try to run faster it is a brake. The result is that it takes a great, conscious effort to try and make my sessions have sufficient range but I am working on it. Slowing down has the problem of not feeling a little bit laboured, just not quite right, but I think I am finding out how to take it down a notch and be more economical.

Anyway in my own sad way I was extremely chuffed, when I looked at my run stats, to see that my average heart rate was 3 beats lower than last week. Only be a small difference perhaps but it felt quite significant.

Today's picture comes from where my route emerged from the woods to meet the Ridgeway, with views over the rolling downland landscape.


Juneathon day 15 stats

Time running: 2 hrs 17 min
Distance: 23.4km

5 comments:

Adele said...

That view would lower anyone's heart rate.

Anonymous said...

I find running slower a challenge also, but I haven't ran two hours in long time so I think that would help!
Your pictures are always lovely, do you carry a camera or is it a phone? sorry I'm being a bit geeky.

Anonymous said...

My problem with going slower is that I'd be going backwards. I remain in awe of you.

Highway Kind said...

Adele - sometimes the temptation is to rest on the gatepost and just look out.

SMSB - I have a Panasonic compact that I carry. It adds to the enjoyment because I have a reason to look around

Highway Kind said...

TH

I think it is quite useful to develop a variety of pace, even if it is only a little up or a little down.

awe is probably the last thing anybody should associate with me but thank you anyway.