Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Restless Legs


I am here at 2 o'clock in the morning typing this and I really, really want to be fast asleep but sleep is impossible. It is not because my mind is racing or I am worried about anything, and I have not overdosed on caffeine. It's because of my legs. They are restless, itchity and will not be comfortable or stay still. So instead of tossing and turning I am sitting at the computer waiting for the paracetamol to dull the messages from legs to brain, to give me the opportunity to doze off.

It is the result of my latest Juneathon effort - a long run, that obviously took more out of me than I realised. But my current state is further proof that you cannot rely on enlightened self interest to always provide the best results. My legs for example, obviously need sleep to repair any exercise damage but they are rebelling , preventing what is best for them. They have no idea.

Ha! I always thought enlightened self interest was a rubbish economic theory used to justify unfettered greed but I always thought that the body was self regulating and knew what was best for itself. So that is another assumption that has proved not quite correct.

Anyway I know that I will soon sleep and tomorrow everything will be fine. It has happened before and probably will again. I don't know if it is common with other people but for me it is a signal to be a little easy for a day or two.

Update: Although I wrote that last night I didn't post it because I needed to sort out a photo from my run.

Ducklings, I need to show ducklings as they are very cute this time of year. A couple of days ago I passed someone standing on the very edge of the canal, bending forward, to get a good angle for his photo of ducklings. For a micro second I thought how it would only take the slightest nudge for him to end up splat in the water, like someone from a silent comedy. I smiled to myself and carried on.

My picture involved no such danger. These mallards were snuggled up in the shade of a bridge and I was able to get quite close without disturbing them.

Juneathon Day 22 stats:

Run distance: 26k
Run time: 2hrs 33min

3 comments:

jogblog said...

Those ducklings are cute! I sometimes get restless legs, not very often thankfully. I don't know what causes it though. Or have a cure.

Adele said...

Oh yes, the restless legs, I get this all the time, but mine is usually if I haven't done anything, like my legs saying 'Come on, let's go!' Hope the paracetamol did the trick.

Cuuuuuute!

Anonymous said...

I get restless legs if I run anytime after about 7pm. I've never thought of using paracetamol - I shall have to remember to try it out next time I'm suffering.