Saturday, April 30, 2011

2011 Streak 116/365: Giving Blood

2011 Streak 116/365: Cycle - 14.27 miles, Time - 1hr 1min, Weather A little overcast and a bit cooler
I rather like the blood donor lorries parked beside the cross - a symbol of sacrifice and a directly stated secular message.
As you can see from the picture the church is very plain - a product of the early 50s and post-war austerity. It is in Adeyfield the first area of the New Town to be developed, just off Queen's Square (so named because it was opened by the Queen). In the week of a royal wedding that fact will be my sole nod to the monarchy.
Inside the nave was filled with couches arranged at right angles to each other, all full with a steady flow of people coming in to wait their turn. It was busy, which is good to see. Every time I give blood there is some small change of procedure. Today it was a suggestion that I should clench my buttocks to increase the flow of blood. So not only was I doing good I did some toning exercise as well.
After giving blood there is no chance of exercise (well you can try but you would not get far  and end up feeling very weak and feeble) so I had to make time first thing in the morning.
The 14 mile loop on my bike was very pleasant. There is very little more to be said apart from the fact that it felt quite easy, which is always has to be appreciated as it does not happen all the time.

2 comments:

runtezza said...

Well done on the donation -- love your blog!

Revrunner said...

Last time I gave blood, I had neglected to read the instructions about not just having exercised within a certain amount of time before. I had just finished a long run and, as a consequence, passed out as the blood was being drained from my arm. 8-)