Wednesday, April 27, 2011

2011 Streak 110/365: Evening stroll

2011 Streak 110/365: Walk - 2.7 miles, time - 55 min, Weather - the day had been nice but evening was a little overcast

I have written before about the best time to exercise and how research shows that people tend to be at their athletic best in the afternoon, whilst morning favours cerebral activity.
That is all very well and might be true but it takes no account of people (and here I am talking about myself) who wally around and put things off to the point of loosing interest. In other words, on some days, it can be difficult to get out of the door and if it goes on for too long the easy option is to put things off until the following day. 
I therefore run in the morning as a form of discipline.
To be quite honest it doesn't really matter if the hands of my body clock have not ticked round to athletic peak. I am so far from the cutting edge of performance that a few degrees up or down means very little. Doing something is more important than anything else and so I have to find a routine which makes it possible
However the wallying about is really a problem for running or cycling, where I anticipate working hard and feeling a little uncomfortable at some point. It does not apply to walking - or to be more precise - strolling. 
There is something incredibly satisfying about going for a walk at the end of a warm day and finishing with a beer in a country pub. 
Which is what happened today - easy, relaxed, and nothing like exercise.
The photo is of a redundant gate at Ashridge, where we went to look at the bluebells. As the light was a bit dull I will hold back posting a picture of them for a couple of days but they are spectacular.
Walk, woods, bluebells, country pub, beer - I must admit to feeling incredibly English

No comments: