Friday, April 01, 2011

2011 Streak 90/365: End of First Quarter

2011 Streak 90/365: Walk - 3.5 miles, Time - 1hr 5 min, Weather - exceedingly windy


This is a significant day in the 2011 project as it is the last day of March and so the first quarter has been completed. I think some statistics are in order:
Total mileage: 846.7 (Cycling - 485.6, Walking 361.1)
Average mileage: 9.4 (Cycling 17.9, Walking 5.73)
January: 315.8 (Cycling 200.7, Walking 115.1)
February: 246.2 (Cycling 141.6, Walking 104.6)
March: 284.8 (Cycling 143.3, Walking 141.5)
Total outings: 90 (Cycling 27, Walking 63)
There are a couple of conclusions that can be drawn from the figures: the first is that mileage can accumulate if you just do a little bit every day; the second is that I need to do more cycling.
The reason I say that is that the walking is all very well for basic endurance but it does very little for cv fitness, as I mostly walk at too easy a pace. I need more sessions where I get out of breath and sweat. When I cycle, although I don't go flat out all the time, there are always sections where I put in a bit more effort, and I am surrounded by hills!
But there is a reason why so many of my outings have been walks and that is related related to the other half of the project: taking photographs. Walking is the ideal pace for looking around and for much of the time I am thinking of things to photograph.  The purpose is subtly changed from exercise to looking but in its own way that can be just as good.

1 comment:

Adele said...

What impressive mileage! I am really enjoying following your year-long challenge. It's particularly interesting to look at your photographs and enjoy the different textures you encounter on your journeys and have an insight into your thought processes as you go.