Sunday, April 03, 2011

2001 Streak 93/365: Sheds and outhouses

2011 Streak 93/365: Walk - 4.1 miles, Time - 1hr 20 min, Weather - light cloud some blue sky

This is a rather magnificent outhouse, old and weathered, with a sagging roof covered in moss. In the corner is a big, impressive chimney, still standing strong. My guess is that it used  to be a workshop, perhaps a smithy (I suppose I ought to do the research to find out, but for today I will just let my imagination have its way). I would love to have an outhouse like that. 
I like the idea of sheds. They are places where you can fettle and I am always much happier fettling than being engaged in purposeful activity. 
It would be good to have a workshop and it would certainly make bike maintenance easier. I actually enjoy stripping things down, cleaning them, and putting them back together but I have to do it outside. In winter (or at any time when it is cold or wet) this is not pleasant and so I put it off. As a result my bike in winter is a disgrace. (Notice I said bike in winter and not winter bike because I am not a super keen cyclist who has a special sacrificial bike for bad weather).
As I look at this outhouse I think of this and realise that as the weather has now improved I have no more excuses. I need to rediscover my bike from underneath its patina of dirt and grime.
I have thus moved from looking, with a vaguely romantic eye,  at an old building to writing myself a stern note: must get busy, must do things!

2 comments:

Adele said...

Ah, sheds. I love my shed. Did you see 'The Flying Scotsman'? We watched it last night on the iPlayer and it was great, really inspiring and featured a rather lovely shed full of bits for tinkering. I think you would enjoy it.

Highway Kind said...

I will certainly check that out. I heard him on the radio a couple of weeks ago and it seems that after a very long struggle he has at last come to terms with himself.

His achievement is inspiring but his mental turmoil was also great. That combination always makes for a fascinating story.

I don't know how I missed it