Thursday, April 14, 2011

2011 Streak 104/365: "Built like a gun, goes like a bullet"

2011 Streak 104/365: Walking - 4 miles, time - 1hr 20 min, Weather - overcast

I am probably quite soft in the head but I love the look of old bikes, so it is a pleasure to come cross this parked in the High Street.
I also like the story of how Royal Enfield has managed to become the oldest manufacturer  to have continuously produced motorbikes inspite of its collapse along with the rest of the British motor cycle industry. In 1956 Enfield of India was set-up to produce the bikes which had been selected by the Indian Government as suitable for its police and army. It has continued producing the bikes in essentially the same form ever since. They were tweaked  for import back into the UK in 1989. Now they are sold world wide. There is an obvious retro appeal as the frame is basically the same as it ever was. The engine however has been updated, as it would need to be, to comply with modern emission standards.
So when you look at this bike you can see our own industrial heritage and that of India all in one machine
As I have said before - everyday I go out with my camera doubtful that I will find anything to photograph and everyday I am surprised that something turns up. I have no idea where this blog will take me but at the moment it seems a long way from running!

P.S. The blog title is the old company motto

No comments: