Monday, April 25, 2011

2011 Streak 108/365: Baking

2011 Streak 108/365: Walk - 4.85 miles, time - 1hr 40 min, Weather - blue skies 



Last week I talked about how the closing of Fitzbillies could only really be marked by the baking of chelsea buns. So after a few days prevaricating I finally got my hands in the flour and made a batch. 
If I were going to broaden the remit of this blog and include recipes for runners then then these buns would deserve a place as recovery food (or a pre-run boost) as they are full of carbohydrate goodness.
I don't think there is a single recipe for these buns as I looked at a few and they all differed. The one I used was pretty basic (i.e. it looked the most straightforward and used the breadmaker) but it had a nice finishing touch whereby orange essence was added to the sugar glaze.. Nevertheless it rated two thumbs-up.
The walk preceding the bun making was along the edges of the town, between the fields of the green belt and estates of housing, through some small patches of woodland with isolated clumps of bluebells. And very pleasant it was on sunny spring day.
The pleasure was increased by it being school holidays with many kids out and about enjoying themselves. I am one of those sentimentalists who likes to see children running about, having fun, whether that be in a playground or in the fields taking a dog for a walk. 
I also like seeing them learning new skills and on this walk I also passed a soccer camp for tots. It was tremendously amusing to watch their exercises with balls almost as high as their knees, besides goalposts which were proportionately enormously tall. But the main pleasure was in seeing the obvious concentration as the youngsters tried to master physical skills.
So with the football and the baking I would characterise it  as a day of learning.

1 comment:

Adele said...

Oh my, they look just perfect! Will you be joining us (WillRunforCake) in a half-marathon jaunt later this year? I think we might need those afterwards.