Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Juneathon 2012 Day 24 & 25 - Gym vs Walk


Juneathon 2012 Day 24 & 25 - Gym vs Walk
Gym - 30min; Walk - 5.75 miles, Time - 1hr 25min



Sunday was another case of getting the exercise done early. As the gym only opened at 8:00 I could only manage 30 minutes before I had to go out. Although it felt virtuous, as if the day had got off to a good start, there is not a lot more to say. In terms of personal interaction gyms are really quite dull. I enjoy the feeling of working my muscles and being able to see improvement and I think it is very important to incorporate resistance work in my routine but there is not a lot to observe and then write about. Ho hum! 
The walk was completely different. It was not exercise for its own sake but as transport - a substitute for taking the bus or the car. I had to get to Berkhamsted and so allowed myself the extra time (and then took the bus home). I averaged less than 15min a mile and walked with some vigour so it felt like proper exercise (unlike many of may strolls) but at the same time I could look around and enjoy the richness of the vegetation, the depth of the greens, and the sounds of the birds. 
The gym did a job and I felt happy both going there and then enjoying the way muscles feel after exertion. However the walk felt like pleasure and gave me a much greater sense of contentment. 

P.S. The picture is from the walk. I passed a village pond and took a fancy to the patterns of reeds and reflections of the sky.

No comments: