Friday, June 13, 2008

Photothon 9: just slightly odd

When I am running I like to be aware of my surroundings and pay attention to the world. Before this photothon I used to think I looked quite closely at what was passing but I now realise that half the time I did not see too much at all. Partly this is because I switch between inward and outward looking, i.e. some of the time I pay attention to how I am feeling, how the muscles are moving, my gait, and my breath. At such times I know that my eyes are open but I see very little. At other times when I get into a rhythm and stare straight ahead and only really see what is in front of me – mostly where I need to put my feet.

With the photothon I get to the furthest point, pause my watch and then wander around – just looking. Everything is focused outwards and it makes a refreshing break because it makes you appreciate what is around you just that little bit more.



You never know what you will see. I think I would have missed this is I had been running up the lane as I would have been looking straight ahead.

It just looks ever so slightly odd: a chair and a funny roller contraption in the middle of a field.

I have no idea why the chair is there but the contraption is a scrummaging machine and therefore belongs on a rugby ground. I looked it up on the internet and was told that 'The company prides itself on designs of unchanging superiority'

Somehow it adds a pinch of absurdity to think that this is a picture of unchanging superiority

2 comments:

warriorwoman said...

I think I look at the world more closely now that I blog. I really seem to pay attention to the run so I can eek out points of interest.

Phil said...

I think that chair is for the coach to sit on and gob off etc. At least thats what mine used to do when i played Rugby.